In 1777 Charles Hall, an entrepreneurial gentleman farmer, built his Brewery in the Dorset village of Ansty. Fortunately for him, Dorset farmers are hard-working — and thirsty — and business was good. By 1793 the Napoleonic wars had begun and the British government gave their troops a daily allowance of five pints of beer. Charles saw an opportunity and won the license to supply Wellington’s troops quartered in Weymouth.
Today, they are stewarded by the seventh and eighth generation of the Hall & Woodhouse family and are proud to be a leading independent regional brewer with a beautiful collection of pubs. They continue to invest and innovate in beer and pubs, ensuring to remain a fiercely independent family company at the forefront of British brewing and hospitality.