Letting your Property
We know that being a Landlord, particularly for the first time, can be a daunting experience. With so much legislation to navigate, our dedicated, ARLA trained lettings team, make it their business to be completely up-to-date with changing regulations and responsibilities as well as current market conditions.
This means our landlords can be assured they are fully-compliant during a tenancy. We will also do everything we can to maximise the financial returns, from advising you on how best to present your property to attracting the very best tenants.
As rents rise, so do tenants’ expectations, so leave the hard work to us. When you instruct DOMVS to let your property, you can be confident that our bespoke client service means that handing over your keys to your perfectly-matched tenant will be a stress-free experience.
There are several different options when finding tenants through DOMVS:
- Fully Managed Service – this is how most of our Landlords choose to work with us
- Rent Collection Service – this is for Landlords who would like the rent to be collected, but have the time to manage the day-to-day running of a rental property
- Let-Only Service – this is for hands-on Landlords who will take care of all aspects of the tenancy once the tenant has been found
We have produced a Services Matrix to illustrate how each option differs.
Advice for Landlords
Dress to Impress! An empty property is of no benefit to a Landlord, and appearances really do count. The moment a tenant steps into their potential home, they will have an idea of whether they can see themselves living there.
A touch of paint to the front door and a fresh neutral colour scheme throughout offer a versatile backdrop for any prospective tenant to consider how their belongings might look in situ. Neutral flooring and carpet is an appealing feature to a prospective tenant – it is worth selecting a carpet that is easily cleaned and cost-effectively replaced, as accidents do sometimes happen. If lightbulbs have lost their glow, replace them. All these things demonstrate that a Landlord cares, and are likely to appeal to a tenant who wants to make your property a cosy home.
Get Organised! Give some thought to the exact date you would like to let your property. We recommend introducing your property to the market six to eight weeks beforehand and, with our marketing and advertising campaigns, we will attract the very best tenants.
Have a Contingency! Consider the cost of being a Landlord. Be prepared for any unexpected maintenance costs or expenses.
Be Flexible! The Lettings market can move quickly, so be prepared to allow tenants to view your property at short notice – and it does pay to be flexible with your move date.
We will advise on every aspect of keeping a tenancy above board however, as a Landlord, here are a few things to be aware of:
- Arrange an annual gas safety check – does your cosy gas fire pass the Landlord’s Gas Safety Certificate?
- Fit smoke alarms on every floor and carbon monoxide alarms in rooms with gas boilers, gas appliances, and any other appliances burning solid fuels. Make sure that these alarms are tested at the start of a new tenancy.
- Arrange an Electrical Installation Condition Report, these usually need to be carried out every five years. We can provide you with all the information to ensure that you are legally compliant and aren’t at risk of any surprising fines.
- Does that cosy sofa have safety labels attached? If you are letting your property ‘furnished’, make sure every item complies with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended in 1989, 1993 and 2010).
- If a deposit is taken, it is a Landlord’s duty to ensure this is protected, using one of the deposit schemes.
Agreeing the Tenancy
Tenancy Agreement – DOMVS uses a tenancy agreement designed to protect both the Landlord and the Tenant’s rights whilst ensuring that all terms are fair to both parties, in accordance with the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.
Our tenancy agreements are regularly updated to include ever-changing legislation.
Inventories – We will arrange for a professional, third-party inventory to be drawn up. They say the devil is in the detail, and this couldn’t be truer when letting a property.
Gone are the days when a handwritten note will suffice. A comprehensive inventory is the best way to minimise the risk of a dispute at the end of tenancy. Inventories need to be drawn up whether a property is being let furnished or unfurnished and everything within the property needs to be recorded and photographed, including fixtures and fittings such as kitchen units and work surfaces, as well as carpets and décor. Should there be any existing damage, this must also be recorded.
Peace of Mind & Fees
Client Money Protection – DOMVS Lettings is a member of the Property Ombudsmen Redress Scheme.
Cash Handling Policy – Click here to view the DOMVS Cash Handling Policy
Charges to Landlords – we have produced a DOMVS Landlord Charges sheet, so you won’t have any unexpected fees to pay.
Should you instruct us to fully manage your property, we will:
- Prepare particulars for your property (including digital photographs)
- Advertise your property on our website, rightmove.co.uk and onthemarket.com
- Come along with all prospective tenants to view your property
Interview and vet tenants on your behalf, including independent references, credit check and right2rent checks
- Keep you up to date with all the legal aspects of letting
- Take care of all the paperwork and payment collection, including:
Drawing up the Tenancy Agreement.
Arranging the inventory/schedule of condition for you – to be paid for by the Landlord (cost dependent on property size).
Collect the deposit and register with the DPS
- Provide a clear and concise monthly rental statement
- Collect and timely forward payment onto the Landlord
- Carry out periodic management visits and let you know how well your property is being looked after with comprehensive visit reports
- Deal with any repairs and routine maintenance issues, and instruct contractors on your behalf, without marking up their fees
- Arrange the check-out report. We will then liaise between both parties to arrange the return of the deposit
Find out more
Please fill out the form below to contact our Lettings team regarding property & tenancy management.