All things nice: The Dorset Ginger Company’s ginger drizzle cake
For the cake:
- 60ml Dorset Ginger Co. Extra Strong
- 200g/7oz softened butter
- 200g/7oz caster sugar
- 200g/7oz self-raising flour
- 3 medium eggs
- Couple of cubes of crystalised ginger cut into small pieces (optional)
For the ginger icing:
- 2 tbsp Dorset Ginger Co. Extra Strong
- 200g/7oz icing sugar
- Couple of cubes of thinly sliced crystalised ginger
2. Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
3. Whisk in the eggs a little at a time. If the mixture starts to curdle, add 1 tbsp of flour. Use a metal spoon to fold in the rest of the flour.4. Add the 60ml Dorset Ginger Co. Extra Strong and stir well. Add the chopped-up crystalised ginger at this point if you are using it.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake in the oven center for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. When it’s risen, golden, and shrinking from the tin, remove the cake from the oven and prick it all over with a cocktail stick at least 20 times.
6. Drizzle it with more Dorset Ginger Co. Extra Strong. Allow it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, carefully remove it from the tin and transfer it to a cooling rack.
7. Once the cake is completely cool, mix up the 2 tbsp of Dorset Ginger Co. Extra Strong with enough icing sugar to make a thick paste. Drizzle this over the cake, then decorate with thinly sliced crystalised ginger.
The Dorset Ginger Company is a family-run business established in 1985 and operates from Lytchett Matravers, just outside of Poole in Dorset. They produce award-winning non-alcoholic, non-carbonated, hand-blended ginger drinks and Sicilian lemonade.