Repurposed Properties For Sale In Dorset
Written by Polly Greenway, CEO of DOMVS estate agents in Dorset
Since DOMVS first opened its doors in 2005, we have witnessed many changing themes and trends, and recently, it has been interesting to see the number of repurposed buildings that are coming onto the market. Converted schools, pubs, churches, for example, all steeped in plenty of history are attracting buyers from all over the country to our beautiful county of Dorset.
Over the years, rules surrounding ‘change of use’ from a commercial building to residential property have relaxed. Some of those homeowners, having enjoyed many years in their renovated properties, are now coming back to the market, and we have a great selection of interesting properties that could be your next home, to buy or to rent.
Churchfield House is a substantial five-bedroom family home that was once the Red Lion Inn where George III is rumoured to have stayed on his visit to Weymouth. Retaining many of its original features, with a large inglenook and generous space to be sociable, the house offers versatile living and beautiful views to Bindon Hill and Hambury Tout, with Lulworth Cove right on the doorstep. Here is an historic photo of the pub in all its glory courtesy of westlulworth.org.uk
Originally a large private house for the parish vicar, this house boasts a sense of history throughout, with a nod to three separate era’s. Focal fireplaces, original sash windows, a Purbeck stone wall outside, all give the property its character and there is a feeling of calm throughout the house. A separate, fully functioning annex, with its own patio garden, has provided the current owners with an additional source of income.
Three buildings, including Redwood built in 1864, Greenwood built in 1895 and Herrison built in 1904 have been redeveloped to create 70 high quality apartments. Herrison Hospital was historically self-contained with a church, sports facilities, allotments for growing food, radio station, Gothic Chapel, and a social centre, for example. The village of Charlton Down developed from the site of the old Dorset County Asylum. In 1920 it became the Dorset County Mental Hospital, and in 1940 was renamed Herrison Hospital.
The Old Church, Kingston: Offers Over £700,000 – Sold STC
The Old Church of St James is a Grade II listed building that has been in the same family since its change of use some 40 years ago. With 0.65 acres of beautiful land, this home offers a wonderful opportunity to further extend and develop, with planning permission already in place. There is so much history attached to this superb building, which can be found on dorsetlife.co.uk.
The Old Bakehouse is an 18th Century cottage, which retains its original old bread ovens and characterful features throughout, including exposed beams. Beautifully renovated, the cottage provides far-reaching views across open fields from the first floor and a delightful garden with herbaceous borders. The property would be an ideal home or, as it has previously been used, a popular holiday let.
The Old Bakery in Corfe Castle needs no introduction. That’s exactly what it was until it was converted into a beautiful property that has served the purpose of a holiday home for many, many years. Located on one of Corfe Castle’s most sought-after roads, the house has been lovingly restored into a wonderful house, with beautiful features throughout.
Between 1912 and 2015, Thornlow Heights was the site of Thornlow Preparatory School, aside from a brief period when the building was requisitioned in the second world war. The newly converted building features luxury apartments, some boasting beautiful coastal views, and all the mod-cons you’d expect from a high-quality build.
Originally built as a private residence, known as Massandra, this generous building was taken over by the Red Cross in the First World War and renamed the Trimar Building. From 1934 until 1989 it was used as the town’s eye hospital and in the mid-1990s was converted into the Weldmar hospice, which was officially opened by the Duchess of Norfolk in May 1996. SInce then, the building has been converted into luxury apartments, revived its original name, and the Weldmar hospice has moved its day services and community nursing team to Cromwell Road, Weymouth.