The leaves have started to change colour and it won’t be too long until the evenings start to draw in and the first morning frost will be upon us. Over the chillier winter months, it’s really important to maintain your rental property to protect against damage; particularly if your property is going to be vacant.
Here are a few simple tips for all our Landlords, to help protect your property as the weather gets harsher:
Cold weather can cause the pipes in your property to freeze and crack causing water leaks. By turning the heating on every day for a short period of time will help you to avoid this. If your property is likely to be vacant over the winter months leave the door to your loft space open to let warm air circulate. It is also worth keeping the cupboard under the sink open in order to let warm air move around the pipes and doors throughout the property open to let warm air circulate.
At DOMVS we offer a Void Property Service. Our team will regularly check your property to ensure that your home is safe and secure throughout the winter season.
Top Tips to ensure your Property is ready for Winter:
- Check your property regularly
- Check for water leaks and fix immediately. Locate all stop taps so that any emergency water can be stopped, and the issue dealt with swiftly and safely.
- Have your boiler serviced by a licensed contractor, preferably before the heating goes on for the colder season.
- Have your chimney checked and swept at least once a year.
- Switch on your heating daily to prevent frozen pipes.
- Remove fallen leaves from drains and gutters and prune large trees and overhanging branches to protect against storm damage.
- Check and replace batteries in all smoke detectors, fire alarms, carbon monoxide monitors to ensure that they are in full working order.
- Have the details of a reliable local plumber to hand.
- Contact DOMVS to discuss our Void Property Service. We will look after your property and ensure that it’s maintained whilst vacant.